What I'm Watching When I'm Watching Christmas Movies

 Christmas is a time - right. I love the holiday. I love everything about the season. Pretty basic that way. A simple holiday moment for me is pulling out all the gifts I've bought for friends and family, camping out on my living room floor with candles lit and a fire going, wrapping up all the gifts in bright red and green wrap with ribbons galore, and watching a Christmas movie. Christmas movies get it right. Here are my favorite lesser-discussed Christmas movies.

1. Dash & Lily on Netflix. First, this is a one-season series. There are eight 30-minute episodes, so it is very bingeable. This show is darling. I feel like this show did not get the marketing it deserved because I stumbled upon it accidentally but am so happy that I did. I really love the two leads. They are charming and witty. There is a lot of Christmas magic. It's basically the movie Amelie with teenagers in NYC during Christmas.

2. The Knight Before Christmas on Netflix. This is the dumbest and most unrealistic concept for a show, but I watch it multiple times every Christmas and it gets me EVERY DARN TIME. The male lead, Josh Whitehouse, really makes this movie sing. They gave him the most bananas script and he gave it his all. Drinking game idea - take a drink every time Vanessa Hudgens or Emmanuelle Chriqui appear on scene in a different winter coat or are walking on an icy sidewalk in 4-inch heels.

3. The Grinch - Pharrell Williams version. If you have never watched this version of The Grinch - find it and watch it. The music is off the hook (to use an old-timey phrase). Benedict Cumberbatch does a wonderful job of voicing the Grinch. The graphics are gorgeous. There's a grocery store scene that makes me laugh every time. For me, this version is better than the original. 

4. Holidate on Netflix. This is an adults-only Christmas movie. TBH, I watch this one year round any time I need a good laugh. I honestly think it is the perfect comedy. It's not overly Christmassy. The Easter egg-hunt scene gets me every time as does the Halloween elevator scene.

Don't get me wrong - I watch and love all the classics. But these (mostly Netflix) newer Christmas movies are also on repeat at my house. 

Comments

Popular Posts